Date: January 17th, 2006
Article by: Mike Carter (Hardware Reviewer)
Edited by: Nathan Glentworth (Owner / Head Editor)
<--SHOP FOR A COMPUTER KEYBOARD HERE
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS AND FEATURES
A Zboard™ Base has an auto recognition feature for any keyset you insert. There's no need to install any additional software. It is the brain behind the brawn. Just switch Keysets & Play your favorite games. The Zboard™ Base comes with these standard features:
Your Zboard™ Base is equipped with 2 USB (BUS powered) connectors. This HUB supports low voltage devices (up to 100mA) such as mice, joystick or memory sticks. Now you can plug devices directly to your Zboard™ without the hassle of crawling down to your PC.
A set of nine hot keys launch common functions such as E-Mail, Calculator and My Computer or allow you to instantly return to a pre-selected destination, such as a file, folder, program or web page.
A set of 7 one-touch multimedia control buttons: play/pause, stop, next/previous track, volume up/down and mute.
Additional LED indicators
In addition to the standard 3 LED (Caps, Scroll and Num lock) Zboard™ has additional 3 LEDs to indicate Zboard™ enhanced functionality (Pad Lock, Bar Lock and Enable)
Designed for First/Third Person Shooter and Action games, the Gaming Keyset provides a better gaming experience, advanced layout and built-in technology advantages. It comes loaded with a selection of pre-defined key layouts for today's hottest games. Show Games
• Most commonly used shooter and action game commands are labelled right on the keys to help you start playing new games faster
• Registers up to 7 simultaneous key-strokes, in comparison to 2-4 on most other keyboards! Jump, move forward, lean left, change weapon and shoot at the same time!!
• Large “butterfly” keys are enlarged and sloped to help keep fingers comfortable through hours of gaming
• Players can easily access more critical commands with the one hand control zone
• Unique domed action keys give gamers the responsive feel that they demand
• QWERTY (Standard) keys for chatting without interrupting the action
• Choose pre-defined key layouts from the list of game titles supported by your Gaming Keyset or create your own key layouts for your favorite games using the Game Binding Utility. The list of available layouts is updated regularly to include the latest title releases.
The Standard Keyset is based on the traditional 108-key layout packed with Zboard™ enhanced features. It is specifically designed to optimize the use of Microsoft Windows®® and Internet Explorer applications.
Control and Windows® labeled commands
The typing zone (QWERTY) has 2 sets of commands common to Windows® applications labeled for your convenience.
• Use the CTRL key to operate top green commands. (eg. Ctrl+c = Copy)
• Use the Windows® key to operate front white commands. (eg. Windows®+d = Show Desktop)
Special Keys (macros)
Zboard™ Special keys are located in the Pad (labeled in blue on the keys of the numeric keypad) and Bar (labeled as icons under the Function Keys F1-F12) areas of the Standard Keyset and feature easy access to advanced functionality inherent to Windows®® and Internet Explorer applications.
Windows® Pad LED
The Windows® PAD includes 16 commands for frequently used Windows®® features such as Minimize/Maximize, My Computer, Show Desktop and more.
Internet Bar LED
The Internet Bar includes 12 commands for frequently used Internet Explorer features such as Home, Backward/Forward, My Favorites and more.
KeyTips™. Zboard™ KeyTips is an interactive help application that allows you to quickly and easily test and verify the different labeled key functions of your Zboard™ Standard Keyset.
For some products, packaging is everything. Ideazon did a great job with the retail box. Bright, colorful, and easy to find on a shelf otherwise crammed with products.
Opening the box, you find the keyboard base, the Gaming Keyset, the Standard Keyset, a detachable wrist rest, and an instruction manual, with the software CD in a plastic pouch glued to the cover. Note that the keyboard is packaged with the Gaming Keyset inserted. The manual is well-written, and relatively easy to understand. Given how most keyboards come with little, if any, information, this is a big plus. While the current trend is to put the manual on the CD in PDF format, I still prefer a printed manual that I can refer to quickly.