Date: December 10th 2002
Article by: Peer van Empelen (Hardware Reviewer)
Product was donated by: LI Utilities
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON BACKUP SOFTWARE IN THE UNITED STATES
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON BACKUP SOFTWARE IN CANADA
LI Utilities was founded in 1999 by a small group of IT professionals with the goal of creating a complete solution for remote support. After nearly three years of development and a large number of smaller projects, we are now about to release our enterprise series of support tools which radically change and improve tech support in larger corporate, academic and and government computing environments. By integrating error reporting, advanced search capabilities and remote control software into one package, we can offer a complete solution for anyone interested in lowering tech support costs, while improving response time and support quality.
Life can be hard on the net. Numerous viruses are out to get you and spyware crawls up the phoneline. But how can you really keep the data you want to keep in one peace save? Making backups !
- Very intuitive design with easy to understand icons, names and tooltips
- Flexible file and folder selection similar to Windows Explorer
- Built-in wizards/tutorials and documentation helps to get you started
- Fully multithreaded user-interface with background processing
- Strong encryption (128 or 256 bit AES) protects your backups from unauthorized access
- Protect your backups with passwords
- Use passwords to prevent others from starting WinBackup
- Built-in CD and DVD burning
- Write backups from network or harddrive to CD or DVD
- Fully automatic CD burning can be used with scheduled backup
- CD and DVD spanning allows you to save large backups to multiple CDs or DVDs
- Smart labels and multi-session writing can be used to store many backups on a single CD.
- Schedule backups to run in the background at any time
- Separate schedules can be used for different Backup Jobs
- Compress files to reduce the size of backups
- Estimated compressed size is calculated in real-time for any backup job
- Files are compressed and decompressed on the fly for maximum performance
- Backup outlook emails, my documents, desktop, address book or favorites with a single click
- Detailed Logs helps you keep track of all executed backup operations
What do you get
When you order from their website you get a neatly boxed CD-ROM in a plastic casing.
Included there is a manual.
Initial setup and small questions are answered in this manual.
Setup is easy and is done in a jiffy. The program and it's files are no larger then 2,62 Mb.
After installing the product you can start the product and it will take you to a nice How-To dialog. For first time users certainly a needed feature and advanced users always have the opportunity to turn this feature off.
Starting off the program has several jobs you can set which can include various directories I chose to backup all the websites I ever made and some more textfiles and some photographs. As you can see in the picture below compression takes of 1/3 of the total size.
Selecting files is easy as the file-explorer works the same as the one you are accustomed to work with. Total backupfile-size is being updated while you work with it.
You can set some options in the settingspannel : What kind of backup, Exclusions, Compression.
A very nice feature is a password setting to prevent unauthorized access of your backup.
The scheduler works well and takes all of the planning out of your hands. At the selected time the application will start itself and perform the backup. First time I used this it crashed on me. I emailed LIUtilities and they responded in a day with the needed remedy. That's a fast response and certainly a big thumbs up from me.
The next feature is the one I was really interested in : backup on a CD/RW. It autodetected my Plextor burner and selected the Span option by default.
When you have everything set you can hit the "Run Backup" button which starts the backup. It will first scan the needed files and then start writing the files back to the Winbackup file.
Now restoring is equally simple. Select the files to restore and hit the settings button to pick the kind of restore it must perform.
After that you can hit the "Restore Files" and it's all being done in a jiffy.
Conclusions & Afterthoughts
This small piece of software just replaced my entire schedule I set in Outlook to remind me of the backup I needed to make. I didn't touch the application again till I really was in a jam: Virus-Invasion. And after that I was back to running speed in less then half an hour.
Should you ever think about getting some software to do your backups for you : get this tool! You can even take the freshly burned CD/RW with you to keep everything as save as possible. Broken PC ? Burned down house ? No worries there as You have it all on CD.
- Small package
- Wizard is simple yet effective
- Burning CD as backup really works well
- Good support by LIUtilities
- Set it and forget it
- Price may be steep for a average user, but $37 for a complete solutions is really not that bad
- Software sometimes reminded me of the backup incorporated in Win2k but has the extra touch that Win2k backups was lacking : CD/RW support
<--CLICK FOR GREAT PRICES ON COMPUTER SOFTWARE