Date: March 18th, 2008
Article by: Karl Van der Walt (Hardware Reviewer)
Edited by: Nathan Glentworth (Owner / Head Editor)
Product was submitted by: SteelSeries
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON A GAMING MOUSE IN THE UNITED STATES
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON A GAMING MOUSE IN CANADA
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS & FEATURES
SteelSeries Ikari Laser highlights:
- Programmable macro buttons with driverless plug-and-play feature
- 40.000 samples per second (SPS) for unbeatable tracking
- 1 - 3.200 CPI (changeable in increments of one)
- Built in LCD display to help set CPI values on-the-fly
- Chassis material and shape based on input from professional gamers
The SteelSeries Ikari mice are the result of 15 months extensive research of ergonomics, technology, shape, motion, hand grip and play styles by gamers. The shape, materials and specifications of the SteelSeries Ikari mice are based on input from professional players from Team 3D, compLexity, mousesports, SK Gaming, Team NoA and other world-class gaming organizations, who collectively represent the world's most accomplished gamers in Counter-Strike and other gaming disciplines.
The SteelSeries Ikari Laser mouse features programmable macros for RTS and MMO gamers and a high precision sensor suitable for FPS gamers. Furthermore the Ikari Laser is completely driverless which enables the mouse to remember settings and macros when plugged into tournament computers - without installing any drivers or software.
The advanced SteelSeries XY2 laser engine supports resolution settings with increments of only one CPI, which for the first time ever gives the user the ability to fine tune the mouse exactly to his personal reaction pattern. Set your windows and in-game sensitivity to default and set the CPI on your hardware instead of forcing software calculations.
With the built in LED display in the bottom of the Ikari Laser you are able to adjust your CPI anytime, anywhere - you are completely independent of software or drivers.
The gaming grade engine used in the SteelSeries Ikari Laser utilizes a new way of analyzing tracking, reaching 40.000 SPS (or around five times the speed of conventional laser technology).
Specifications for SteelSeries Ikari Laser:
- Samples per second: 40.000
- Inches per second: 50
- Counts per inch: 1 - 3.200 (one CPI Steps)
- Acceleration: 20 G
- Sensor data path: True 16 bit
- Lift distance: 1,8 mm (0,07 inch)
- Buttons: 5
- Cord: 2 m / 6,5 ft (braided to improve durability)
- Polling: 1000 Hz
- Gold-plated USB connector
- Measurements: 130 x 83 x 36 mm / 5,1 x 3,3 x 1,4 in
- CPI high/low indicator
- SteelSeries FreeMove Technology
- Large pressure points that reduce friction for optimized glide
- Driverless, plug-and-play feature for LAN gamers
- Operating systems: Win XP/Vista/Win 2000/Win 98/Win ME/Mac OS
The package is identical to that of the Optical version other than the fact that it says Ikari Laser instead of optical.
Other than the mouse, you will receive a user's manual, the software CD along with a product catalogue and a case badge.
Here is where you see the first difference between the laser and the optical. The laser version has a different color scheme. I will go into that more later in the review. You will also note that the cable is sleeved the same way as it is on the Optical version.