Date: March 3rd, 2006
Article by: Joe Anderson (Hardware Reviewer)
Edited by: Nathan Glentworth (Owner / Head Editor)
Product was submitted by: Thermaltake
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON A THERMALTAKE POWER SUPPLY IN THE UNITED STATES
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON A THERMALTAKE POWER SUPPLY IN CANADA
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS AND FEATURES
The specifications and features in the following tables and list are from Thermaltake's website. They are, for the most part, self-explanatory, but I'll take the time to elaborate on a few of the more notable aspects.
The 600W has active PFC, which is always nice to see, though not a necessity here in North America as it is in some European countries. This feature is in no small part responsible for this PSUs high efficiency. Cooling duties are handled, very quietly, by a thermal controlled, double ball-bearing, 120mm fan. The compact size of the 600W will be a boon to users with limited room in the PSU area of their cases. For the metrically challenged among us, that's 5.9 inches (L), 5.5 inches (W) and 3.15 inches (H).
To go along with its 600 watt rating, the 600W has three 12V rails totaling a very impressive 52A.
- Complies with SSI EPS 12V & ATX 12V 2.2 version
- Supports dual PCI Express and 24-pin detachable main power connector
- High efficiency (80%) with 0.99 Active Power Factor value
- Separate 12V rails provide sufficient 52A for PC system
- PCI Express, SLI, Cross-Fire, and dual-core CPU ready
- Low noise 12cm ball bearing fan and mirror effect housing
- Gold-plated connectors for better conductivity
- Protections: OVP, UVP, Short-Circuit, Over-power, Overload and Over-temperature
- Safety/EMI Approvals: CB, CE, FCC, UL, TUV certification
The feature set is equally impressive, and we'll cover most of these a little later on.
After shelling out around $120 US, this is what you can expect to receive.
In typical Thermaltake fashion, the 600W arrives in a heavyweight cardboard box with a carry handle on top all wrapped in plastic film. Some of the more attractive features and specifications are displayed alongside a three-quarter view of the PSU.
Inside the box, a small, but very complete user's manual accompanies the 600W power supply and a black box containing the power cord and mounting screws. As you can see, the PSU is covered with bubble-wrap to protect its finish.