Date: April 17th, 2007
Article by: Joe Anderson (Hardware Reviewer)
Edited by: Nathan Glentworth (Owner / Head Editor)
Product was submitted by: Logitech
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON A LOGITECH X-540 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM IN THE UNITED STATES
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON A LOGITECH X-540 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM IN CANADA
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS AND FEATURES
Total FTC power: 70 watts RMS
Total Peak power: 140 watts
Frequency response: 40 Hz - 20 kHz
Speaker dimensions (H x W x D)
Subwoofer: 11.25" x 6.5" x 9.75"
- Frequency Directed Dual Driver technology: FDD 2 eliminates uneven response created by conventional dual-driver designs.
- Matrix mode: Creates 5.1 surround-sound effect from 2-channel stereo sources.
- Innovative center channel LCD clip: Speaker attaches to the top of most flat-panel monitors.
- Satellite speaker stands: Rotate for easy wall-mounting and positioning.
- Dynamic, real-time bass equalization: Maximizes low-frequency response at all volumes.
- High-excursion, ported, down-firing subwoofer: Displaces more air for deeper bass.
Most of the specs are fairly self-explanatory, but I'd like to briefly discuss some of the unique features of the X-540 system. First of all, the FDD2 technology gives the system the ability to produce a more uniform “soundfield” in the listening environment. To quote Logitech, “This technology helps the speaker system produce richer sounds by having two drivers in each satellite speaker. It also overcomes high-frequency overlap that leads to uneven sound - a major barrier to dual driver speakers in the past. The result is uniform, intense sound from any place in the room.”
Secondly, the subwoofer is a high-excursion unit housed in a ported enclosure. All things being equal, high cone excursion will produce deeper bass response with greater speed and power than a sub with shorter throw. A real-time equalizer maximizes bass while minimizing distortion.
The “Matrix Mode” feature can take 2-channel stereo signal input and automatically process it to simulate 5.1 channel surround sound. This feature can be activated at the wired control center, which we'll discuss later.
Speakers: 4 satellites, 1 center channel, 1 subwoofer
Control center (wired remote)
Color-coded audio cables
Game console adapter
2-year limited warranty
The attractive carton is surprisingly small, but quite heavy. Logitech wasted no space when packing the system for sale, every cubic inch is fully utilized. Ok, so you won't find the warranty inside the box, but you can bet that Logitech didn't get where they are today by fostering poor customer support.
<--CLICK HERE FOR PRICING ON A LOGITECH X-540 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM