Date: July 17th, 2007
Article by: Karl Van der Walt (Hardware Reviewer)
Edited by: Nathan Glentworth (Owner / Head Editor)
Product was submitted by: A.C.Ryan
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON A HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE IN THE UNITED STATES
<--CLICK FOR DEALS ON A HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE IN CANADA
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS AND FEATURES
[3.5" USB2.0 eSATA]
For IDE & SATA / SATA2 hard disks
Connect to PC via USB2.0 or eSATA
- USB2.0 480mbps / compatible with USB1.1
- eSATA interface (enables a longer max. cable length of 2m) up to 3Gbps with SATA2 hard disk.
For both IDE or SATA / SATA2 hard disks
- Use SATA hard disk on eSATA or USB
- Use IDE hard disk on USB
- Enjoy the blazing speed of SATA as fast as an internal hard disk!!
- Supports all 3.5" hard disk up to 10000RPM
- Supports all 3.5" hard disk max capacity 1024GB
- True HotSwap Plug-n-Play
- Simply Plug n Play even while your system is on
1.8mm solid aluminium
- Keeps hard disk cool
- Ultra lightweight solid construction
- Shock resistance up to 90cm freefall
- High quality mirror polish
- Sleek & slim 30mm height
Horizontal Stackable or Vertical
- Designed for horizontal or vertical placement
- Vertical placement with vertical stand
- Multiple boxes can be stacked on each other
- Front Blue LED light indicates HDD activity
Dimensions: 205 x 125 x 30mm
PRODUCT COMPOSITION AND WALKTHROUGH
As you can see the packaging is stylish and has a carry handle to help you cart it around. The box is sturdy and well constructed so you will be able to place your drive back into it for transportation and some added protection should you choose to do so.
Once you remove the plastic protective coating and open up the box you are greeted with the AluBox and all its accessories. The AluBox is neatly packed into press-molded cardboard packing. The device arrived here in pristine condition despite some damage to the packaging on the outside. So its packaging obviously protects your investment well.
The software bundle consists solely of a driver disk for windows ME/98se. The manual has a nice high gloss cover and details the installation process in easy to follow illustrated steps. Barring a few grammar and spelling errors it should allow all but the most PC illiterate to set up the drive.
From left to right are: eSATA cable, SATA power cable, USB cable, power cord and lastly the units power supply. I have seen a few external drives sporting internal power units, however this just adds to the heat factor so the external power unit was a wise choice here especially with the AluBox's fanless design. The array of cables provided will allow the installation of either IDE or SATA drives and gives the option of USB (IDE or SATA) and eSATA (SATA) connectivity.