Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:37 pm Post subject: (WinXP) Disable Unnecessary Services to Free Resources
Services are programs that run when the computer starts up and continue to run as they aid the operating system in functionality. There are many services that load and are not needed which take up memory space and CPU time. Disabling these services will free up system resources which will speed up your overall computer experience. I recommend that you sort through the list and read the descriptions to decide if you need that service depending on what you want to do with your computer. If you look at the bottom of this thread you will find resources that explain what each service does in detail and provide other useful info. Remember, you can always turn the service back on if you find that you need it in the future. Below is the procedure to turn off a service.
Note: Ensure that you are logged in as an "Administrator" or have Administrator rights before doing the following.
--Do NOT use "msconfig" to disable services, do the following instead!--
1) Go to Start -> Run.
2) Type services.msc in the box and click OK.
3) Once the services window has loaded we are ready to turn off unneeded services.
4) For instructional purposes we are going to turn off the Portable Media Serial Number service. Find this service in the list and select it.
5) Right-click and select Properties.
6) Once the Properties window has loaded locate the Start up type drop down box (under the General tab) and select Disable.
7) Next, go to the Log on tab and select the hardware profile that you want to modify (this is located @ the bottom) and press Disable.
8) Then just click OK and the next time the computer starts the service will not be loaded.
Note: If you need this service enabled, then just follow the steps above but select Enable instead and click OK.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum